By Rabison Shumba
The capacity to dream is built in and grafted to everyone at the point of conception. This function is enabled more as you arrive on earth and become aware of what could be; possibilities and opportunities as well as potential obstacles that you face in the process called growth and experience.
However, your ability to dream and guarantee of greatness has equally opposing forces which seek to either delay, derail, destroy and mutilate your progress towards destiny. To know the disease is half the cure just as identifying an enemy is half the victory in the battle front. In this article I explore common enemies or dream killers that I have face faced as I have dreamt and worked on my vision.
I have overcome some and yet still face more enemies. The goal is to empower you to identify your own enemies and have a strategy on how to bring them down so that your greatness can be well positioned to take place.
Common Dream Killers
- 1. Bad Personal Experiences and Testimonies that Others Tell You About
Usually when you have had a bad experience with a dream or vision you are likely going to remember the bad parts as you try to work on another dream. You need to break past the force of history and consider that a new page is opening. Fear of the past can grip your desire to do big things. Do not be moved by how others experienced their walk. What others say should not hold you back. I like the old Chinese proverb that says “Let those who say it cannot be done give way to the one who is doing it”.
- Bad Advice / Counsel / Wrong Associations
Sometimes it is too soon to tell other people about your vision or dream. That may scuttle the incubation process and cause a premature delivery. Counsel is important but no one understands the intricacies of your dream like you do. When counsel is given it is proper not to implement all you hear but carefully assess the counsel and write the advice points down. Sometimes, people who are too lazy to implement their own dreams would want to also discourage others from breaking forth into success through dream implementation.
- No documentation (or poorly written)There are many dreams that have died while the dreamer continues to live all because there was no documentation. When you document, you have a constant reminder of something that is pending. When you die before your dream comes to pass, leave others copies of the ideas you had been working on. Your children will be able to enjoy the fruits of your dream as they implement it. If there is no blue print, plan or guideline to follow, your dream may well fade into the horizon of history on your departure. I would rather have this said about me “Well, he did not only leave money and assets but he left a dream which his family and children will enjoy”. If you leave money, your name drowns soon after it has been shared.
- Chatter Box Syndrome – Advertising Chickens When You are Holding on to Eggs.
Timing sometimes is important when it comes to who you can tell of your dream. Many dreams have been mutilated because of premature publicity. You never know the reaction of those you are sharing your dream with. Maybe they will become envious, they will discourage you and point out to you how impossible it is. Before you open your mouth to tell the world about your dream, consider the side effects. Most importantly be allergic to discouraging voice.
- Inconsistency and Lack of Integrity – Your dream requires consistency through and through as well as a large degree of integrity. Consistently affirming and building the vision, consistently putting wheels to the vision so that there is continual motion, consistently putting building blocks, values and scope etc. Integrity is being an individual whose word is their bond, who calls a spade a spade. Lack of integrity will see potential funders of your dream shunning your vision.
- Impatience – This is when you sometimes say “I want it to happen here and now”. From vision conception to manifestation there is work, gestation, continual feeding and shaping of the vision. Speeding is an offense in driving and is more disastrous in the dream process. Let the vision run its full course. Some visions come to fruition in a shorter time than others. When you get into the habit of thinking that “quick return” visions are better than long term ones then you will always hop from vision to vision “hoping” for a quick returns.
What your mind conceives, if you believe it, you can easily bring it to reality.
- Ignorance & Wrong Mental Focus – Lack of the Right Information can Kill Your Vision. Invest time in research and development (R&D). Living in assumption mode is dangerous. You need to take time to gather the relevant information that builds your capacity. Your mental focus plays a key role in making sure you are always building and not destroying your aspirations. What your mind conceives, if you believe it, you can easily bring it to reality.
- Chasing Many Birds at Once – A Clear Sign of Indecision. Firing random shots is a waste of bullets. You must target at the bird you want to catch and go for it. A lion roars to scatter a herd of buffalo so that it can focus on one and get it. Once it is focused on the one it is able to gather all its energy to chase and kill its prey with ease. It is good to diversify but wait until the first vision is running on its own lest you lose both visions at their infancy.
- Indiscipline and Wrong Motives – Indiscipline is not doing what you plan and say you will do. Indiscipline in money matters comes when you borrow for consumption but not for investment or production. Some dreams suffer at the mercy of the motives of the dreamer. If your dream is merely about making money, then once the money does not come in time, you take off and start a new dream. If your dream is rooted on helping others, rooted on making this world a better place, then you will not be easily shaken. You will hang in there no matter what forces come against you.
- Pride joined with Greed – These are cousins whose existence goes against the greatness you desire. Pride looks down on others. It does not seek to raise anyone up for greatness as that becomes increased “competition”. Pride seeks limelight all the time. It wants the microphone, to be heard and to be seen. Greed on the other hand is biting more than you can chew. It is being never satisfied with anything. It wants more than is allocated.
Note that “Lack of Funding” has not qualified as a major threat to your dreams. Why is it so? If you are passionate enough about your dream and work towards eliminating the enemies above, funding will follow your vision. You will not convince anyone about your dream if you are impatient, greedy, ignorant – all that I addressed above.